Monday, February 12, 2007

TOO MUCH LAUGHING IN THE PRESS ROOM


I will keep this short, I promise. I think the amount of laughing and joke making and snarkiness and attempted wit is DEPLORABLE. There are days where I feel like marching some of my friends from Walter Reed into the press room so they can sober that fucking room up. Everyone has their roles, they play characters and they have been in that room stinking it up with bullshit softball questions. Every single press conference becomes a test of intellectual willpower and rhetorical strategy rather than it does serious investigative reporting aimed at journalism rather than editorializing. The journalists have already written their stories by the time they interview Tony, and they go fishing for some equally snarky sound bite they can entertain their low browed readers with. All the while they laugh with their heads back as they entertain eachother and whisper to one another at how daft their questions are and how occassionally surprising Tony's candor is.

Either way, its sick. Scott McLellan may have been a bit snide and stubborn, but the antics going down in the press conference must stop. There is a fucking war on, with actual peoples lives at stake. These reporters chip away at Tony and Tony lobs back with some straight man jab. The time has come to kick some of these characters out of the press room and get serious. Les Kinsolving must fucking go. Helen Thomas should retire already, shes an embarrassment to journalism at this point. I have no idea how April Ryan got in the press room (not that I can explain Les' presence beyond blind ritual). Paula Cruickshank rarely asks anything substantive, choosing to use her position in the room to vamp up some random fringe cause or issue. Les though, might be the most embarrassing codger still propped up blabbering in a room filled with hot air. I literally heard him after the press conference ended saying "ah what a character, what a doctor, what a life, isn't it fun!" as the rest of the press corps laughed heartily at the latest of his wild accusations. Yeah, its a friggin blast, literally, just ask our troops that you are all so concerned about "supporting" through your courageous responsible work.

I just cant handle it any more. The situationn in that room is abysmal and the major MSM rags should be embarrassed at how lame and out of touch their reporters have become. Even for the sake of their own "poor embedded" colleagues, sober up, ask questions that matter, and then wrap it up. The time spent coddling these high browed psuedo intellectual stand up comics has to stop.



Sorry for the vitriol, but honestly, I'd take Scott's evasiveness way before this Stewart/Obermann inspired baffoonery. I am keen to the fact that the White House is "in on the joke", but I guess I just dont find the jokes that funny considering how serious this situation is. To me the press room, especially during a frigging WAR, should be somber and probing, not romper room.

I guess its been a bad CS day for me. Was at the hospital Saturday.

No comments: