Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wish List


Really quick, this is a list of a few things that I have noticed that put a kind of hamper on the comfort level of our veteran patients why they are healing at W/R. Now, I recognize the enormous effort that is already exerted on their behalf and am a constant witness to it. The hospital staff and organizations that support it are amazing. However there are just a few things, issues, and ideas that I see and have witnessed that are missing that have a big effect on the morale and "wellness" fo their recouping. I also recognize that maybe a bit of this is my own "priveleged" expectations for comfort, and that these folks are used to roughing it, but I just can't see how making them rough it any more than they already have is logical. For most of them, they wont be back int he service and their recouping is about making them whole again as people, so to me, now is not the time for sacrefices. I also dont expect the military to fork the dough over, but rather wonder if there are a few of these "Wellness" items/issues that could be solved with a little elbow grease from the District's more "comfortable" residents and commercial inhabitants. It just seems like we as a city could be doing better for these guys. I've already seen how the imposing nature of this city has demoralized many of our vets. Its huge, hard to navigate, socially challenging, not to mention, frigging expensive. I have only begun volunteering at Bethesda Naval, so I can't speak to it's needs at this moment.

I do realize I sound quite arrogant telling the military or whomever how to treat their vets, because I often don't know or are not privvy to the "wisdom" behind why certain things "must be". I write this more as a resident of the Nations Capitol and can't fathom why we can't do right by these guys and try to throw out the "Welcome Home" mat for them a little quicker and enthusiastically. So anyways, here goes....just a wish list, not a list of demands.


Heat Lamps
I don't think that these are neccessarily needed for every housing building at Walter Reed as many of the other persons living there are in less fragile condition. And while I am certainly not advocating smoking, as a smoker myself, it pained me to see folks headed just outside of the front and back doors of the Malogne House (a hotel turned outpatient clinic) freezing their cahones off just for some fresh air or a butt. I know this seems really petty, but even just two would make all the difference. Course I have done the homework and they are about 2K to start with. The propane fueled lamps would probably present a bigger challenge as someone would have to replace the tanks, and I am not sure you want such items accessible to just anyone in order to operate. Could be dicey. But they do have electrical ones that might not be that challenging. Smoking isn't the only issue mind you, not even the most important. There is a grill in the back of the hotel and occassionally myself and a few folks will grill out there even in the winter. The patients really enjoyed getting out in the middle of the winter, sometimes with snow on the ground, but the cold was a little much for many of them. Many of the guys play cards, play guitar, chess (yes, soldiers play chess folks!), checkers, read and just hang out outside. Its very theraputic, but during the winter, the hotel gets a little cramped and cabin fever sets in. It already has gotten a little grumpy in the halls there, I've noticed.

Shuttle Buses
Okay, there will be a longer blog on this subject in the future, but seriously, getting out and about in DC (if they are able to physically) has to be the greatest challenge to these folks. They are stashed away on Georgia Ave in upper NW, far away from any of the glittering social life, museums and events that they hear so much about. Now transportation is usually provided by the NUMBER of veteran organizations that already take these guys and girls out, but alot of the times folks don't want to go on an organized trip often with strangers or folks they may not get along with. They are all jonesin for some outside stimulation and while the staff at the hostpital and the rec director (who I know personally) are doing a hell of a job trying to bring entertainment on base and get these guys out, the independance that a shuttle would bring would certainly be a shot in the arm for many. Security also neccessitates a shuttle that can make sure that should these folks make it out and into the city for a little nightlife or sightseeing on their own, that they make it back safely and cheaply. Cabs alone, roundtrip, cost nearly 40 bucks if you are headed anywhere decent and fun. 40 bucks is alot of money when you are on injured reserve salary. Hell its alot of money for most. Secondly, alot of cabs wont come or go back to Walter Reed from downtown. Another post will be written about why this might be, but it is a serious problem that I myself have witnessed. Its 2am and a guy on crutches cant get home. What does he do? I have also heard of soldiers being mugged right outside the gates of the base. They are easy targets apparently. This makes them feel really glad that they served their country btw. You take a young man out of a small town in Nebraska, ship him to one of the most ethnically hostile environments in the history of mankind and then he gets blown up and shipped to one of the most ethnically hostile cities in the U.S.. Alot of the times they just give up, get bitter and stay in their rooms. It breaks my heart, as the city has so much to offer, as we all know. Its just a bitch to go out in.


A well stocked library for movies, books and games
Don't get me wrong, there is a library for video games, books and movies, but it could be better. Most of the books suck and are old hand me down donations, the movies dont have multiple copies and there are only a few video game players that the guys can rent and return. There is plenty of visual entertainment in my mind for them as the lounge downstairs has two big screens and each room has cable. However, the book library could use some work. Board games, other card games, etc are also good ideas. In a fantasy I would install an indoor basketball hoop game (like the one's they have at Chucky Cheese even) and/or skee ball...ice hockey, ping pong, and pool tables wouldn't be half bad either. But I know I'm pushing it here. I think folks underestimate how much time these guys have to spend staring at eachother or the TV. At this one particular location there is just very very little to do. I am currently working on getting a donation of comic books hauled up there that might be sort of fun for alot of them. A little fantasy escapism never hurt....


Those are the first three that come to mind. The logisitics thing is a messy and complicated one, that will be flushed out later. The focus really has to be on the physical repair of their bodies, but without something to look forward to, or distract them, depression and self-pity or worse, anger, sets in. I've seen it happen already and regularly as its not that motivating to be stranded and only surrounded with people that have it just as bad as you do. They all put on such a great and brave face. I would go crazy on the other hand, but thats why I'm not cut out for service like they are. Their patience, optimism and stregnth are quite humbling to be around. They often share movies and books (this book issue is another future post as these guys read more than most civilians I know), watch games together and do make it out into the city (however the amounts of money they end up spending make it kind of cost prohibitive). This list is just to describe some of the aspects that I think would further stregnthen the recovery effortst that the military and support organizations already provide.

No comments: